Building a wood stand for firewood out of PVC

2 inch PVC pipe and green PVC roofing cover
6ft x 3ft x 15in wide

This project was simple, cheap and effective.  It's been outside 5 years with no sign of wear, and supports the weight of a quarter cord of wood, out of contact with the ground, dry from above and allowing air circulation.





Close up of the pipe details.
The pictures petty much show I just used PVC pipe and 90 degree joint connectors, I didn't even need glue.  You can drill holes and use some washers and screws to connect the cover.  I bent the green roof cover over and attached it to the front, after the first year I took out those screws to make for easier access, once the PVC was bent into place.  The back I didn't care about as it's under the overhang from the house.



This has worked out to be a much better solution than covering the wood with tarps and cheaper in the long run, my tarps were tearing within a couple of years due to sun, wind and rain, and I had to buy chains and connectors, otherwise the tarp ends up in the neighbors yards.

However, I think I can make it cheaper still.  Next version I build I'm planning to use heat to bend the PVC pipes, so I won't have to buy the 90 degree pipe connectors, I expect I'll be able to almost cut the project cost in half by bending the pipes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amateur radio, getting started, quick and simple guide

DZ09 $16 SmartWatch phone review